Table of Contents
- What is Green IoT
- Greener Solutions for Energy-Efficient Development (USE CASES)
- Green IoT Biological Clock
- The Future of Green IoT
Technological advancements led to new inventions of radios, telephones, computers, mobile phones, and the INTERNET. “The rise of connectivity” led to the advent of wearable computers, the internet, mobile phones, and M2M technology, all contributing towards the Internet of Things (IoT).
The internet has successfully revolutionized communication and connectivity. Everything is accessible with just a click. This machine to machine (M2M) technology era resulted in connected devices which facilitated convenient communication. These IoT enabled devices to have the potential to alter business models and revenue-generating streams through effective energy consumption.
There’s a need to develop practices and procedures that prioritise resource conservation and environmental governance while taking initiatives to decarbonize the atmosphere. Green IoT reflects energy-efficient processes embraced by IoT devices to attain sustainable development.
The world’s energy consumption must become energy-efficient to imitate the greenhouse impact and CO2 emissions from multiple sensors, devices, and services to acquire a sustainable and inventive world. This will make certain the reliability of the IoT and green deployment in an intelligent and smart world.
Green IoT refers to energy-efficient processes adopted by IoT to eliminate the greenhouse impact of existing applications and services.
Initially, the sustainable use of IoT will eliminate the greenhouse effect, while the latter case will witness optimization of the IoT greenhouse footprint.
Hence, the green IoT lifecycle and IoT application will more likely emphasise green design, usage, and green production followed by the green disposal or green recycling of these devices to represent minimal to zero impact on the environment.
The development of energy management software based on artificial intelligence (AI) serves as a part of the green IoT movement. IoT enables nanotechnology to create smaller nano-scale devices for enhanced functionality, energy effectiveness, and precision, thereby eliminating size.
It is predicted that by 2025, there will be around 41.6 billion IoT devices worldwide, assisting green IOT in reducing energy usage. Source: MarkNtel Advisors
Greener Solutions for Energy-Efficient Development (USE CASES)
The diverse industry verticals use IoT technology to edifice greener solutions by advancing their operations for greater sustainability goals and declined energy costs;
- Energy-Optimized Homes: The monitoring of appliance use at homes using cost-efficient circuit-level electricity monitoring, real-time reporting, smart alerts, and remote energy controls.
IoT devices can save your pocket as well as energy consumption to great extent. The demand for low-power IoT enabled devices with indoor and outdoor tracking abilities has manifold as it enables homeowners to track their energy use on a real-time basis.
- Smart Lighting, demand-led heating and cooling for enhanced comfort in homes and offices, while at the same time eliminating energy consumption. Additionally, energy-certified thermostats understand automatically what temperature users prefer and create a schedule around that facility.
During the pandemic period, since it was a work-from-home culture, the energy consumption of New York City was eliminated by nearly 15 percent (using IoT technology). This turndown was possible because the commercial structures consumed more lighting per square foot than personal homes, as per Info Q research. Accounting for the energy spent for construction and demolition, the energy share is increasing up to 50% of the total energy consumption- Source: Science Direct.
Any industry can curtail its expenses by adopting IoT technology including smart thermostats, smart lighting, and smart outlets. This will allow them to regulate indoor temperatures and help them remotely control electricity sources leading to energy-saving techniques and making buildings more sustainable.
- Intelligent Healthcare Facilities & Services for Senior Citizens to assist them to lead a safe and independent life.
- IoT solutions for senior citizens encompass health monitoring systems, home security monitoring, and constant interaction with the custodians. IoT-enabled remote monitoring systems are essential to building deterrent healthcare services for the amelioration of society. The use of Big Data Analytics helps in the quick diagnosis of health issues, thereby eliminating healthcare overheads concerning hospital about system costs and patients considering the visits to the hospitals.
- Intelligent Utility Meters & Real-Time Power Use Monitoring to collect, store, and transfer data to smartphones to control energy and water consumption.
Believe it or not, it’s pretty affordable to control household water utilization with low-power, long-ranging IoT solutions. Smart sensors help in sharing real-time readings via the cloud facility and shut off automatically during an event or an issue.
- IoT Connectivity for Mobility Services; shared e-bikes, and e-cars.
Cloud computing, AI, and computer vision are now integrated with IoT to build more climate-friendly and enduring solutions for sustainable transportation. These technologies can aid the problems revolving around changing regulations, sidewalk identification, and vehicle theft.
- IoT-Enabled Air Panel Device for fresh air, improved health, and effective building ventilation.
IoT technology can enhance internal air quality as well as natural ventilation, thereby saving a huge amount of energy and provisioning improved life expectancy. The IoT-based energy management solutions can monitor air quality data and conduct real-time cloud-based estimations to concurrently evaluate and manage the air quality and the environmental impact of IoT.
- Designing, Manufacturing, and Distribution of ICT Equipment & Devices; greening of IoT concords with the use of avant-garde ICT technologies that use infrastructure and storage to create the IoT environment-friendly at the same time enabling subscribers to gather, store, and access multiple information to save energy used in the designing, manufacturing, and distribution industries.
Green IoT Biological Clock
The design elements of green IoT encompass building energy-efficient computer devices, communication protocols, and networking architectures. Green IoT involves Green in IoT, also Green by IoT. Greening IoT implies designing hardware and software products. The green design includes software design that helps in curtailing environmental effects and must be reusable, with the least computational and memory resource prerequisites.
The vital enabling technologies for GIoT involve Green Tags, green sensing, networks, Green M2m, green data centre, and green cloud computing.
Data centres are one of the most energy-intensive structures, consuming 10 to 50 times the energy per floor space of a typical commercial office building- Source: Energy.gov Nano green data centres are more energy-efficient solutions than conventional data centres. They can significantly help reduce heat dissipation costs, possess high-service proximity, and possess the potential for self-adaptation or self-scalability. Machine learning can help lower the need for cooling data centres to a great extent.
The Application of IoT in Manufacturing Plants facilitates the production flow in manufacturing plants, as IoT technologies automate the monitoring of development cycles, and manage warehouses along with inventories. Hence, investment in IoT devices has been manifold over a few decades.
A Competitive Head to Green IoT
Green IoT has the potential to transform our lives into greener and healthier environments in the foreseeable future. The eco-friendly energy management systems can focus on greening aspects like green networking and communication, green design, green IoT installations, green services, and applications.
Energy problems of energy harvesting and creating low-power chipsets are key to the establishment of green IoT. Smart IoT solutions from Smartinfologiks can help enhance security, communication, and compatibility, leading to increased ROI and productivity. With the emerging demand for IoT applications in varying industries, we initiate efficient and inventive solutions to bridge the gap between IoT and Business practices through our applied IoT platform- MonitorBEE.
For green IoT, it’s essential to consume minimal energy, seek novel resources, eliminate the negative impact of the IoT on human health, and create less environmental disruption for optimal sustainability goals.
Leverage green IoT for a sustainable, smart, and eco-friendly environment!